In this proposed project, we focus on scaling up the performance of P4 based programmable data plane functions using DPDK. We assume an environment where virtual network functions (NFV) such as customized switching are implemented in P4 language and executed in virtual machines on a multicore x86 platform. The research objective is to evaluate how DPDK can scale up with ingress traffic with the number of NFV containers, and compare its performance with other virtual switching mechanism for virtualized functions in a multicore platform.
Concluded in April 2017.
- Peilong Li, Xiaoban Wu, Yongyi Ran, and Yan Luo. Designing virtual network functions for 100 gbe network using multicore processors. In ACM/IEEE Symposium on Architectures for Networking and Communications Systems, ANCS ’17, Beijing, China, May 2017.
- Yongyi Ran, Xiaoban Wu, Peilong Li, and Yan Luo. Dynamic virtual measurement function scheduling in software-oriented measurement environment. In IEEE International Conference on Communications, ICC ’17, Paris, France, May 2017.
- Xiaoban Wu, Peilong Li, Yongyi Ran, and Yan Luo. Network measurement for 100 gbe network links using multicore processors. Future Generation Computer Systems, pages –, 2017. doi:https://doi.org/10.1016/j.future.2017.04.038.
- Peilong Li, Xiaoban Wu, Yan Luo, Liang min Wang, Nancy Yadav, Marc Pepin, and John Morgan. Numaware: Accelerate vm-to-vm i/o performance in numa servers for nfv applications. In 2016 IEEE Conference on Network Function Virtualization and Software Defined Networks, SDN-NFV ’16, Palo Alto, CA, Nov 2016.
- Xiaoban Wu, Peilong Li, Yongyi Ran, and Yan Luo. Network measurement for 100gbps links using multicore processors. In Inovating the Network for Data-Intensive Science, INDIS ’16, Salt Lake City, Utah, 2016.
- Peilong Li, Xiaoban Wu, Yan Luo, Liang-min Wang, Marc Pepin, and John Morgan. Understanding the Performance of DPDK as a Computer Architect. DPDK Summit 2016, San Jose, CA, Aug 2016.